1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed
12 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup (about 2 ounces) hazelnuts—toasted, skinned, and roughly chopped (or use pine nuts)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 small wedge (about 2 ounces) Parmesan
1. With a vegetable peeler, shave the asparagus lengthwise into long ribbons.
2. Cook the spaghetti according to the package directions, adding the asparagus during the last 2 minutes of cooking.
3. Drain the spaghetti and asparagus and return them to the pot.
4. Add the oil and hazelnuts; toss. Add the salt and pepper; toss again.
5. Divide the spaghetti among individual plates. With the peeler, shave the Parmesan over the top.