4 cups + 1 TBS vegetable broth
1 medium onion, chopped
3 medium cloves garlic, chopped
2 medium carrots, diced into 1/4-inch pieces
2 medium celery stalks,diced into 1/4-inch pieces
2 cups finely chopped kale
2 tsp curry powder
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
3 TBS chopped fresh cilantro
Salt and black pepper to taste
1. Rinse lentils in strainer and sort through, removing debris.
2. Chop onions and garlic and let sit for 5 minutes to bring out their hidden health benefits.
3. Heat 1 TBS broth in medium soup pot. Healthy Sauté onion in broth over medium heat for 5 minutes stirring frequently, until translucent.
4. Add garlic, carrots, and celery. Continue to sauté for another couple of minutes. Add curry powder and mix to bring out its flavor.
5. Add rinsed and drained lentils, 4 cups broth and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer uncovered until lentils and vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Add kale and simmer for another 5 minutes. Add cilantro and season with salt and pepper to taste.